You will know whether Pinterest or Instagram is better for your business or your digital marketing career when you consider their main use and function.
There can be instances where you can use both of them, if your purpose is in sync with the overall function of both platforms.
Similarities and Differences
Both Instagram and Pinterest use images and videos to interact with their users. The contents found in these two social media platforms are primarily focused on the visual rather than the written content. Other than that, they are entirely different from each other.
Most of the images and videos that you’ll find on Pinterest are focused on curation or evaluation. Instagram, on the other hand, is more focused on sharing the images and videos with other users.
As it is, users of both platforms have found innovative ways to promote their businesses and their products. In this regard, we will examine the pros and cons of each platform to help you determine which of the two will be most useful for your particular business.
What’s the Primary Function of Pinterest?
Pinterest subscribers use the platform to curate and/or discover visual content posted by other users. Searching for videos and images is similar to searching for information using today’s most popular internet search engines such as Google and Yahoo.
Pinterest users are those who are searching or discovering content of all types about you, your product or your company. They are doing this to learn, be inspired and to share. This type of content is different from the content published on Instagram.
In other words, if your users are more likely to search the content by certain keywords, themes then Pinterest is probably the way to go.
Primary Target of Pinterest
Recent data coming from internet databases show that approximately 81 percent of Pinterest users are female. Women are five times more likely to use the network’s virtual scrapbook than men. Perhaps part of the reason is that women are more used to expressing their creative nature than men.
On the average, users of Pinterest also tend to be much older. In addition, about 56 percent of its users belong to the 18 to 34 year old bracket. This information is very important especially if your product is gender and age sensitive. You can also use Amazon selling statistics for this purpose.
Pinterest Is Fully Functional in Both PC and Mobile Device
You can use Pinterest on both your mobile device or your PC or laptop. Some users actually prefer to use this platform on their desktops. Many users prefer mobile version of Pinterest for its additional features which make it very convenient to use for e-commerce purposes.
For instance, two convenient features of Pinterest are the ‘show me more like this option’ and the Buyable Pins. In addition, statistics also revealed that e-commerce transactions have higher rates on PCs and laptops compared to mobile devices. This situation makes it favorable to Pinterest and its users.
Pros and Cons of Pinterest
- If your product is meant for women, you’ll do better by using Pinterest
- On Pinterest, you can increase your chances of getting your target’s attention by using hashtags
- By using theme boards on Pinterest, you can tell your story more clearly. This will result in increased customer engagement because they will be easily hooked by your story told through images and videos.
- You can increase traffic to your website by using pins. These pins are actually links to the sources of the images. If you use your other websites as sources, traffic on those sites will improve. Therefore, you can maximize your SEO efforts by using pins.
- Pinterest is very effective in providing useful content to its users
- Pinterest’s ability to be an effective promotional vehicle is limited to women. Products that cater to men will not find this platform useful. You are better off with other social media sites like Instagram in furthering your business or your digital marketing career.
- You can’t manipulate photos on Pinterest. Users are only allowed to pin existing photos on its theme boards.
- You are limited to just two hashtags in this platform, compared to Instagram which allows you to use up to 30 hashtags
What’s the Primary Function of Instagram?
Instagram was created as a platform that people can use to share their photos and videos.
This platform enables its users to take videos and photos using their mobile phones. In addition, this platform gives them the ability to enhance and tune these images and videos with filters.
The process is very simple.
Followers on Instagram would like to see videos and images not just about your business side but your human side as well. Therefore, if your content is more focused on a mixture of your personal and business life then Instagram is great option for you.
Target Audience of Instagram
Instagram is not particularly targeted towards a specific market niche. It’s basically used by everybody, no matter the age (except people younger than 13 years old), gender or market sector.
About 45 percent of Instagram users are men as compared to Pinterest with approximately 19 percent. Amazon selling statistics have proven that having a larger audience brings more revenue streams.
About 20 percent of Instagram users are 13 to 17 years old. There’s only about 13 percent of users who belong to the 35 to 54 age group. In other words a lot of young people with an income use Instagram.
Instagram Is Only For Mobile Devices
It appears that the developers of Instagram have originally intended for it to be used solely on mobile devices. Although users are able to view the content on their laptops or desktop PC. Adding comments and likes works over web or desktop app, however posting content can be tricky. This can be done over scheduling apps for example.
So if you want to use Instagram fully without using your phone, then yes you can.
Pros and Cons of Instagram
- Making stunning photos is very simple with Instagram. You can enhance and tune up your images. There are different filters that can enhance photos and you can also put captions on them. On this platform, you can make your photos more vibrant and personal to your target audience.
- Instagram can be a lot more conversational because you can get comments from your target audience. This results a closer and stronger connection and helps you build a better brand.
- This platform allows you to use a maximum of 30 hashtags. However, many experts advise to prudently use only from 8 to 10 hashtags so you won’t clutter your content with too many of them.
- You can make your brand or product more engaging, accessible, and your content more informative and personal on Instagram by using videos, photos and sending quick messages. Your images posted on this social media platform will make your relations with your customers more creative and your ways of communicating with them exclusive and unique. These are the things that build customer loyalty and strong brands.
- The biggest drawback of Instagram is its open character. It is used by everybody, and not just for business. Although you can target more people on this platform, you must realize that a lot the people there aren’t to follow your business.
- It is focused for mobile. If you’re business isn’t mobile optimized yet then Instagram will not be an ideal fit for you.
- There’s not a lot of easy ways to drive traffic to your website and other places. You can add only one link to your Instagram account. Unless you use a services like linktr.ee.
When it comes to differentiating Pinterest from Instagram, the important thing is to understand what kind of images and messages will resonate with the users of these two social media platforms. Understanding this aspect will help you optimize the engagement of your target customers.
With all these considerations in mind, you are now in a better position to determine which platform works better for you and your business promotion – Pinterest or Instagram.